Google Analytics is currently a standard in the field of web analytics. Millions of owners and specialists managing websites, use it regularly, to know what is happening in their websites. While the solution works great when it comes to answering the question: WHAT is happening on my site, it does not say WHY this is happening. It is only by combining the quantitative data concerning website traffic, with the declarative data collected by the questionnaire, that we get a full picture of the situation. The Startquestion platform in a very simple way allows you to send responses obtained in surveys to Google Analytics, enabling segmentation of GA data based on data from Startquestion.
The most popular use cases:
- user segmentation and traffic analysis based on the reasons for visiting the website,
- user segmentation and traffic analysis based on the level of satisfaction with the visit,
- user segmentation and traffic analysis based on age, gender, size of the city of residence and other demographic data,
- user segmentation and traffic analysis based on any declarative data (e.g. your company’s products or knowledge of the company’s offer),
- question about a keyword that was entered on Google before entering the site,
- checking the effectiveness of various sources of traffic to the website with a questionnaire.
How do I submit survey data to my Google Analytics profile?
1. In the first step, configure the data connection by going to the „Account” -> „Settings” tab, and then „Integrations”.
2. Configuration consists in providing the tracking ID of the UA account in Google Analytics, to which data will be sent. You can find the ID in your Google Analytics panel by going to Administration and Service settings.
3. In addition, the main domain address of your website is required.
4. The last step is to specify that we want to send data from this particular survey to Google Analytics. After saving the above configuration, the „Send user answers to Google Analytics” item will appear in the Survey Settings, which should be marked. You can set this in the tab Settings and than in Integrations section (scroll the site down).
How will the data be sent and displayed in Google Analytics?
Two types of data will be sent to Google Analytics: answers provided in the survey and page views on the particular questionnaire. Answers are sent as Events, and the content of questions as Event categories. The response content is sent as Event Actions. In turn, the address of the page with the questionnaire is a derivative of its title (eg / satisfaction-about-using-from-service questionnaire) and is available in the report of the Websites.
- For proper use, you should have an access to Universal Analytics.
- In order to combine the answers provided in the survey with other data from Google Analytics, the study must be embedded in the same internet domain on which the Google Analytics account was created.
Worth to remember:
- You can send responses from both surveys and widgets.
- Configuring integration in „Account Settings” won’t automatically result in all responses from each survey being sent to Google Analytics. It is necessary to check this option in „Survey Settings”. This is because it turns out that the data collected in a specific survey will not always be forwarded.
- At the moment, the following types of questions can be sent to Google Analytics: single-choice, multiple-choice, open, NPS, form, drop-down list, question about date, number question and questions about e-mail.