The following article will show you how to install the widget code on the site and how to run your first project. The one-time installation of the code will allow you to manage your research later from the Startquestion interface, without having to engage the IT department in launching a new widget, changing questions and settings or completing data collection.
Creation of the first widget
- Click the ;Create a project’ button in the upper right corner of the screen (1).
- Then use the Widget option for the website (3) and give the name to the widget. Remember that the name will be displayed on the top bar of the widget, so it should be an incentive to take part in the survey. The design name that is displayed in your panel can be changed later in the Widget Settings tab.
- Decide What you want to start with. You have two options: create a new widget (4) or copy one of the previously created (5).
- On the next screen, click Add introduction or a question (6).
- Then proceed to the selection of the element you want to add (7). This can be, for example, a single or multiple choice question.
- Enter the question and answer content (8), and if it’s necessary for you survey, configure the appropriate question options.
- If you want to add another question to the widget, click Add another page and select the type of the next question. In our case it will be an open question, because we will want to ask for a user who has not fully understood our offer to leave a phone number if he would like to contact our representative (9).
- In order for the question to be asked only to people who answered a or b in the first question, we define appropriate display rules (10). Remember that at any time when creating a questionnaire, you will see its preview in the same form that the user will see on your site.
- After adding all the questions, go to the Design tab (11), followed by Settings (12), where we can configure the behavior and options, and then the Colors tab, where we can set the color according to the color of your website. We described the exact configuration options and colors in a separate article.
Installing the code on your website
- After completing the configuration, go to the Collect (1) tab to configure the display rules. Then go to the Widget code tab (2), where you will see the code to download, which you have to place on every subpage of your website (or at least on these pages on which you want to ever display the widget). You should just copy the code and paste it into the HEAD section. If you don’t know how to do this, please provide the code to the IT department. The code is also placed in the Account settings -> Widget code.
- Then go to the information related to the Technical Documentation and Prefill, from which you will learn, among others, what to do to install the so-called retargeting cake or take advantage of the possibility of dynamic information transfer to the widget.
Determining display rules and collecting results
- After the correct installation, you can proceed to set the display rules. You can find more on the subject in the article on the rules configuration, but for the purposes of this example, we set the rule so that the widget appears only on the page with the Price List and only after 15 seconds from when the user on this page is located. IMPORTANT! If you don’t set a rule to the URL where the widget should appear, it will be displayed wherever the code has been placed.
- To do this, in the Collect tab (1), click Display rules (2) and select the desired rules from the drop down list. After adding one rule, another is added by clicking the green plus (3). We can also choose if to run the widget it is necessary that both rules are met or it is enough that one of them (4) is met.
- To activate the widget, go to the Collect tab again, then: Widget code and move the bar to the right, in the following direction: Collect results.
- Immediately after activating the widget, it appears on your website according to the defined rules.
- The collected results can be viewed in real time in the Results tab.
Worth to remember:
- We present the best possible use of the widget in the separate article: Good habits in online surveys creation.
- We recommend You to check the widget first on the test environment before moving it to the production – on your website.
- You can place any number of widgets on the page, but during one visit you will see only one widget (the one whose rule will be run first).